and when she speaks
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
7:43 AM
This is me update
I've had a little time to work on my This is Me project for the FGM self-challenge. I decided that rather than make one quilt top I'm going to make a series of quiltlets that I may try to attach with beads or some other different medium. This way perhaps I'll actually finish something. I really like the handwork and to do the series as quiltlets will allow me some handquilting with manageable projects. I've finished the applique (thanks to Linda for the gluestick lessons) and have basted and started quilting. My stitches are a little rusty but I'm getting at least 10 to an inch so I can't complain! I still don't have any hair but I found some perfect eyelash yarn that will go on after the quilting is done and the embellishing begins. Anyone who knows my vanity will understand that I WILL have hair the first moment it can be added. I may leave off the wrinkles under the eyes but that's artistic license!!!I have enjoyed working on this one. Trying to figure out who you are to represent yourself artistically can be an interesting process. I started off with my lack of fashion finesse which is perpetuated by my work attire (not dressing pretty to hit body shops all day) and my kid's social calendar which supercedes anything I might have going on. Then I put myself where I spend the most quality time. I love the outdoors and spend many an hour surrounded by the woods, my flowers or the wide open spaces the sports fields provide. I live in an area where even the sports fields the kids play on are surrounded by beautiful oaks and wooded areas. I added the elements that I feel represent my life at this place and time. Miss Priss wanted to know why the fairie had to have a broken heart. The middle one who is my deep thinker asked me if he could be the green one. He gets it! Of course the oldest wanted to know why they were coming out of my heart and why I didn't portray myself bent over pooping people out of my backside ... forever the realist! In thinking about who I am at this stage of my life, my whole world revolves around my children .. the reason my heart beats in the dark. I love butterflies and the kids will often come get me to point out a particularly beautiful one. Butterflies aren't with us long which to me makes their beauty even more special. Two week lifespans are not uncommon. So this got me thinking about all sorts of symbolism. My children are my universe. You try to keep them sheltered and safe in a cocoon until they are ready to venture out on their own. The first day of school, the first time they don't want you to go with them anywhere, that first sleepover where they don't miss you or want to come home .. so many firsts that are liberating steps to maturity each create a tiny fissure in your heart. Like the butterfly they grow within your heart until they are ready to take off on their own. Bursting free from their shelter forces those fissures to crack open and sends them soaring into adventures unknown. So my heart breaks a little each day as they grow up but swells with pride at their accomplisments. My kids are the butterflies of my life ... beautiful, unique, and with me for oh so short a time. I only hope I can launch them into the world with the same joy and love they bring to mine.
So .. all that being said, Linda thanks for the challenge and making me appreciate the wonders of my world yet again!
Hopefully I'll get the quilting done during the next few weeks so I can get it embellished and hanging where I can look at it everyday. Those same kids that make me all mushy will probably have me ready to kill them by then!Labels: FGM challenges, quilt projects, This is me
Your thoughts?
2 comments
2 Comments:
Gina, your quiltlet describes the joy and agony of the motherhood years so completely that it brings tears to my eyes. Your kids are fortunate to have you for their mother. I can't wait to see your finished quilt.
Thank you Carolyn .. that really means a lot. I do love the little buggers!
Post a Comment