Gina's Whimsical World




and when she speaks






Wednesday, October 10, 2007
9:45 AM


CHBM Collaboration




The chains of habit are generally too small to be felt until they are too strong to be broken. ~Samuel Johnson


Today's collaboration is to write about the above quote and what it means to me. I had to think about this one and the impact of habits on my life. A habit is defined in several ways. The following are just a few from one of my dictionary sources:


1. an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary: the habit of looking both ways before crossing the street.
2.customary practice or use: Daily bathing is an American habit.
3. a particular practice, custom, or usage: the habit of shaking hands.
4.a dominant or regular disposition or tendency; prevailing character or quality:

Acquired behaviors, dominant tendencies .. these all define what you do and who you are in the course of the day. I often catch myself wondering why my bad habits seem to dominate. Do they truly dominate or because they bother me (only not enough to change apparently) make me feel as though they rule my life? I am the world's worst procrastinator but somehow seem to do some of my best work in the chaos of a deadline. Yet each and every time I say I never want to do this again. I make lists but then don't always follow them. The habits I most despise in myself are the same ones that drive me crazy in my kids and other people. I certainly can't criticize the behavior without taking my ownself to task! Lord knows I have some bad habits (eating, vocabulary and the list goes on...) but I have some really great ones that mean the world to me. My best habit/tendency/ritual whatever you want to call it is the one that I am most proud to see in my children. We never part ways without an "I love you". Whether it's tucking them in for the night, off to ride their bikes around the block, dropping them off at a friend's house or terminating a phone conversation ..... those are ALWAYS the last words I say to them. My oldest has adopted the same habit ... it's an awesome feeling to know that even in puberty my 12 year old ends all his conversations with me the same way. It's hard to maintain anger when the "i love you" becomes your goodbye. I know that sometimes he doesn't conciously realize it but he always says it to me. What makes it more special is that I know it's not a pat answer and he doesn't do it to anyone else. It's just part of our special routine. My others are following along and while their phrasing may be different ... DS2 uses the word "ditto" as the actual phrase is embarrasing to him ... while my DD will scream it out at the top of her lungs. So Mr. Johnson's quote is right on point for me ...... while there are some habits I will continually strive to break .... those small chains uttered each and everyday to my children are forging links that I pray will never break!

For more opinions be sure to check out the CHBM Collaboration .


Your thoughts?

1 comments

1 Comments:

hey, Bubbybird here....I want to thank you for this particulary collaboration. My husband and I were just discussing love and the relationship we have and what we still want in it for each other. WOW isn't it amazing how things like this work out. We are trying so hard to change the negatives from both of our pasts to a positive so that we are both able to feel love and compassion for each other.

Again thanks for the way you wrote this up......oh and by the way, saying I love you is something that my kids and I have always tried to remember to do also, and now my husband is included on this, and my grandkids.....

By Blogger Bubbybird, at Tuesday, October 16, 2007  

Post a Comment








tous de moi Y

I'm the mother of three of the wackiest, wildest most wonderful little people in the world. I spend the majority of my time either with my kids and their antics, working or trying to create something - usually havoc!


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

My Cre8tve Chaos Y

I moved my creative stuff over here


Leave me some love Y



Words to live by Y

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, Its about dancing in the rain.
Tiffany Wilson
*****
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
*****


Bloggers and links I readY

***Riviera-Ramblings
***Fairie Goddess Mothers
***Whispers In The Woods
***Bits N Pieces
***FGM Competition Blog
***JunkDrawerMind
***Linda's World
***Apalach Fire Dept.
***Watersedge Photography
***Beyond the city limits
***Where the women bloggers are - blogher.org
***Digital Figments
***
Walking with Walker Lady
***
Terri's Tales
***
Vix's Creative Interlude
***
Linda Poole aka Listmom
***wannabe-art
***art-quiltz
***My World, by CJ

******************************** PhotoHunt ********************************

My CausesY

***Airedale Rescue
***Cirque du Sol'Aire


My Virtual PetsY


adopt your own virtual pet!




Currently in my world it is ....Y

The WeatherPixie



Stuff you might have missedY





Quotes and other TriviaY











Visitors Y

Locations of visitors to this page

Thanks for stopping byY




Tunes Y




MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Initial LayoutY

Done by: deceptionpoint-


°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°