Gina's Whimsical World




and when she speaks






Wednesday, September 26, 2007
12:15 PM


Where does the time go?


Twelve years .... amazing how much you pack into twelve years ... monumental, meaningful, mindblowing never to be forgotten experiences mixed in with the everyday moments of life that seem decades away when anticipated in year one and as though they occurred just yesterday in the reflection of year twelve.

My DS1 was twelve this month. While I once bought talcum I now buy Tag. Where we once arm wrestled over brushing his teeth, we now debate the merits of different whitening products. We no longer fight over Barney vs. Sesame Street (for the 9000 time), now we fight over the validity of ratings on PS2 games. The struggle to get him to wear clothes morphed into the struggle to get him to change clothes now has become the debate over dress codes and freedom of speech. Although, the daily "does this match" and study of latest fashion impresses me way more than my credit card bill after back to school shopping did. Things that once seemed so difficult are now easy and things that used to be so easy are a daily debate. Attitude is rampant at my house and I'm not sure whose is worse some days .. mine or his. My kiddo is great .. he's my first of so many things .. firstborn, first miracle, first to make me realize all my shortcomings simply by being the first to need me simply to survive. He's the first to make me truly celebrate the miracle of life, the first to help me truly understand sacrifice and most importantly unconditional love. He has taught me that all of life is a phase and even if it's a phase of decided uncomfortability you better enjoy it because it won't last long. He and I have been through a lot together ... things I won't share because at twelve he has his own strict concept of privacy and I will not violate his any more than I want him to violate mine. (Yes, baby I know you're reading this at some point and all of it is sacrilege at 12 but you gotta give me something!) But these journeys have brought us closer and hopefully that bond will bring us through the teenage years that are marching rapidly in.

Little did I realize all those years ago when I sat and rubbed my belly hoping for a little boy with blond hair and blue eyes that I was getting so much more. Not only did he arrive with white blond hair and gorgeous blue eyes but with a loving heart, mischevious spirit and a great sense of adventure. This is my rock climber, cliff jumper, always scraping and banging up something. The rollerblade and skateboard antics keep me on constant alert. He's athletic and plays all out at whatever challenge he takes on. He'll procrastinate to the bitter end then manage to pull out all the stops. He'll charm you right out of your pants (another reason to dread the upcoming teen years!) and if he has decided you aren't entitled to a bad mood, you won't keep it long. He's thoughtful and sweet to the little guys but he'll go toe to toe with anyone his size and much bigger (another dread of middle school). He'll give you the upmost respect - IF he thinks you deserve it ... he'll give you the minimum to still remain polite if he doesn't. He's incredibly smart and has been able to manipulate his universe since birth. He's full of adventure and creative ideas. He has my Grandma Mae's laugh and Great grandma Gert's dimple. He'll drive you to the brink of insanity and then give you the most flirtatious little smile with a "just kiddin'" and you're sunk. He's the first person in the universe who could have me ready to rip my hair out and laugh at the same time .. (then he had to teach the subsequent sibs).. so I guess it goes without saying Motherhood makes you crazy!

His birth story was much less dramatic than the DS2 story ... I'm sure the day before his birth - chasing down my grandmothers run-a-way dog, a baby shower (out of town after being told my insurance wouldn't cover the birth if I left town), and obscene collect phone calls from a prison inmate every 5 minutes for an hour before we could get the line blocked, arguing with his dad about returning home that night (I wouldn't settle for anything less), the full moon and a two hour car ride with a howling 75 pound dog jumping back and forth over the front seat all led to my going into labor two weeks early. Although the beauty of ignorance of a first time pregnancy, I had no clue my water had broken. I just disgustedly thought I was so fat I was wetting myself, changed clothes and went to bed. When it occurred the second time in as many hours, I began to get a clue. The trip to the hospital and delivery were wonderfully uneventful and I brought the cutest little 5 lb 4 oz peanut home. I think one of the most miserable days of my life was leaving him with someone else to head back to work. All of that was 12 years ago, but seems like only yesterday as I write this post. So much water under the bridge, so many treasured memories and smiles through the tears. Happy Birthday Big Guy ... I love you!

How do we go from this moment in time to the next so quickly?
Why must they grow up so fast and how is it possible that I love them more each day?





Man's best friend then and now






The need for speed only gets stronger ... faster, higher, the bigger the risk, the bigger the thrill


First a brother


Then a sister


Keeping it in the net then


Putting it in the net now



Wanting to hit the waves then


Conquering the waves now


Every moment is but a memory, treasure each one.



Your thoughts?

1 comments

1 Comments:

Gina, you have a wonderful way with words especially when you are talking about your children. I hope you print this out for the future. There will be many times you both need to be reminded of early times. It is obvious that this one was the first of the miracles of your life. I am so glad that you take such joy in each child. Sunshine

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, October 03, 2007  

Post a Comment








tous de moi Y

I'm the mother of three of the wackiest, wildest most wonderful little people in the world. I spend the majority of my time either with my kids and their antics, working or trying to create something - usually havoc!


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

My Cre8tve Chaos Y

I moved my creative stuff over here


Leave me some love Y



Words to live by Y

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, Its about dancing in the rain.
Tiffany Wilson
*****
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
*****


Bloggers and links I readY

***Riviera-Ramblings
***Fairie Goddess Mothers
***Whispers In The Woods
***Bits N Pieces
***FGM Competition Blog
***JunkDrawerMind
***Linda's World
***Apalach Fire Dept.
***Watersedge Photography
***Beyond the city limits
***Where the women bloggers are - blogher.org
***Digital Figments
***
Walking with Walker Lady
***
Terri's Tales
***
Vix's Creative Interlude
***
Linda Poole aka Listmom
***wannabe-art
***art-quiltz
***My World, by CJ

******************************** PhotoHunt ********************************

My CausesY

***Airedale Rescue
***Cirque du Sol'Aire


My Virtual PetsY


adopt your own virtual pet!




Currently in my world it is ....Y

The WeatherPixie



Stuff you might have missedY





Quotes and other TriviaY











Visitors Y

Locations of visitors to this page

Thanks for stopping byY




Tunes Y




MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Initial LayoutY

Done by: deceptionpoint-


°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°