and when she speaks
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
5:08 PM
Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Carnival - Neighbors
Today's Carnival theme is neighbors .. specifically MY neighbors. Oh boy ... could I tell some stories .. but I won't. Not all of them anyway ... I live in what could be considered an ideal neighborhood - if it weren't for some of the people. Isn't it that way anywhere? A small circle that is just 1/2 mile around. One way in, one way out. Underground utilities, canopy roads, 300 yr old oaks and pecan trees, wonderful views of the stars. Not a lot of traffic unless you live here or are visiting. We live outside city limits and everyone lives on at least an acre. You'd think we could all get along. There are tons of kids .. always riding bikes, skateboarding, scooters and the like. We used to have block parties ... now not so much. Now it's more divided and certain groups of us associate and certain groups of us tolerate. We have diversity and the kids all play together with no barriers to race. That part I love. The family next to me is a blended family. We've coordinated our kid weekends to have them all together. It's great .. when they are all here there are 8 between the ages of 6-11 between our two houses. There are more than 25 kids living on our little piece of the world. The kids aren't the problem .. its a select few of the grownups. My neighbors next door to me (on both sides) AWESOME. I hope they never leave. Always willing to lend a hand, an ear or drink a cold one over the fence. We often swap stories and commiserate by the pool. One of my dearest friends started out just a few doors down. We practically raise our kids together and it isn't uncommon to see them with either one of us. Our sons were born one day apart, in the same hospital, shared the same doctors and dentists and before moving here we lived within 2 miles of each other .. we figure we were destined to meet. ... There are quite a few more cool people that I see in passing, stop and chat with but don't see a lot outside school or "official" neighborhood functions. Mostly it's while we struggle to maintain our respective lawns that we dish. These people are the reason I live where I do ... then you have the ones that have nothing better to do than run around with a copy of the Homeowner's Association Covenants and harass people. Get a life, get a job, get a grip!!!! Do people not understand that their nasty attitudes, cold shoulders and reputations for harassing all around them affect their property values way more than whether or not someone failed to lower their garage door for the day? We've had some doozies come up over the past few years. It never ceases to amaze me the agendas some people have. My most recent situation was back in April ... my daughter left my house on her bicycle and rode .3 tenths of a mile to her friends house. A little later a Sheriff's Deputy shows up at my house.... responding to an anonymous complaint that my daughter was reported weaving in and out of traffic? HUH? It's a private road, barely wide enough for two cars to pass, thus the 15 mph posted speed limit. Real anonymous you jerk when you get out and yell at a 7 yr old and then call the police instead of me. (probably self preservation after jumping out of your car and yelling at my kid - coward). This nut actually told the officer that they had to apply their brakes! As opposed to (?) when approaching a pedestrian or bicyclist on a 15 mph roadway? Yeah, neighbors can make or break a neighborhood ... fortunately we just have a few that everyone shakes their head at, shrugs their shoulders and gets back to the finer things in life. For more Neighbors be sure to check out this week's Carnival.Labels: crazyhipblogmama
Your thoughts?
2 comments
2 Comments:
Wow, I was going to say how much I want to live in a neighborhood like yours (I always wanted neighbors with kids that would freely play in the yard with my daughter.) but then I read the last part about the "nutjob"! What a crazy man! But don't let him get you down! Sounds like you have a fantastic neighborhood!
Here via the chbm!
Don't you just love the Neighborhood Association? Thou shalt not leave your trash cart out blah, blah, blah! Amazing what some people like to do with their time!
Post a Comment