Gina's Whimsical World




and when she speaks






Saturday, April 14, 2007
6:57 AM


Friday the 13th


I have never believed in the junk that floats around about Friday the 13th. Just another day and honestly I've always liked 13. It was my softball number, it's part of my email address .... yesterday it made me think! A flat tire to make me late for work, a lost printer cord - unable to completely work, my first estimate came out to 666.65 , tile guys don't show up to work (as if I really expected them to start a job on Friday - yeah, whatever!)... weirdness, coincidence or just a whole lot of bad luck in a short period of time? Regardless, for the first time I actually wondered where this whole Friday the 13th came from. There is some interesting history behind the legends or whatever you want to call it. I'm just calling it a bad day with a little symbolism behind it .....

From wikipedia .... Before the 20th century, although there is evidence that the number 13 was considered unlucky, and Friday was considered unlucky, there was no link between them.
Many popular stories exist about the origin of the concept:
The
Last Supper, with stories that Judas was the thirteenth guest, and that the Crucifixion of Jesus occurred Friday.
That the biblical
Eve offered the fruit to Adam on a Friday, and that the slaying of Abel happened on a Friday (though the Bible does not identify the days of the week when these events occurred). [1]
Many modern stories (including
The Da Vinci Code) claim that when King Philip IV had many Knights Templar simultaneously arrested on Friday, October 13, 1307, that started the legend of the unlucky Friday the 13th.
Neither these nor any other historical date have been verifiably identified as the origin of the Friday the 13th superstition. The first documented mention of a "Friday the 13th" is generally listed as occurring in the early 1900s.
[2][3] [4]
In the case of Greece, Tuesday, April 13, 1204 was the date that Constantinople was sacked by the crusaders of the Fourth Crusade. The first-ever fall of what was then the richest Christian city, and the looting that followed, allegedly gave Tuesday 13 its bad meaning.


Your thoughts?

2 comments

2 Comments:

Thank goodness for rational people that don't let the day dictate what they ascribe to the "Friday the 13th" mythology. I have had some really bad days and we could spend excessive amounts of times keying in on what those days have in common. On the flip side, by the looks of your beautiful family - and as the proud mama of three - we could spend a lifetime talking about the symbolism of great things coming in three....

Let's start a tradition around that too! Thanks for visiting my site. IPOP'n to be on time for gymnastics, or at least close. (My daughter that is, you wouldn't want to see me do a cartwheel.)

By Blogger Political Season, at Saturday, April 14, 2007  

I'm not superstitious, I didn't think twice about moving into Number 13!

By Blogger Akelamalu, at Sunday, April 15, 2007  

Post a Comment








tous de moi Y

I'm the mother of three of the wackiest, wildest most wonderful little people in the world. I spend the majority of my time either with my kids and their antics, working or trying to create something - usually havoc!


Meez 3D avatar avatars games

My Cre8tve Chaos Y

I moved my creative stuff over here


Leave me some love Y



Words to live by Y

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, Its about dancing in the rain.
Tiffany Wilson
*****
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
*****


Bloggers and links I readY

***Riviera-Ramblings
***Fairie Goddess Mothers
***Whispers In The Woods
***Bits N Pieces
***FGM Competition Blog
***JunkDrawerMind
***Linda's World
***Apalach Fire Dept.
***Watersedge Photography
***Beyond the city limits
***Where the women bloggers are - blogher.org
***Digital Figments
***
Walking with Walker Lady
***
Terri's Tales
***
Vix's Creative Interlude
***
Linda Poole aka Listmom
***wannabe-art
***art-quiltz
***My World, by CJ

******************************** PhotoHunt ********************************

My CausesY

***Airedale Rescue
***Cirque du Sol'Aire


My Virtual PetsY


adopt your own virtual pet!




Currently in my world it is ....Y

The WeatherPixie



Stuff you might have missedY





Quotes and other TriviaY











Visitors Y

Locations of visitors to this page

Thanks for stopping byY




Tunes Y




MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Initial LayoutY

Done by: deceptionpoint-


°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°